Just imagine your family is gathered together for having a big family feast. Your best china is set gently upon silk cloth, crystals brimming with fresh apple cinnamon ginger juice. Also, there is an array of baked, steamed and sautéed vegetables on the table. And suddenly your grandmother reaches for the salt, and surprisingly asks “Why has the salt pink colour?”
It is Himalayan salt and it is miraculous!
Origin facts about Himalayan salt
Almost all people associate the Himalayans with Mount Everest, i.e., the highest peak on this planet, but of course, there is something incredible to think about – the Himalayan salt.
To explain you more deeply, once upon a time, maybe a couple of hundreds of million years ago, there were crystallized sea salt beds covered by lava that are found deep within the Himalayans. Moreover, it is kept in pristine environment surrounded by snow and ice year round, it is considered that the lava have protected the salt from modern-day pollution, thus leading to the consideration that Himalayan Pink salt is the purest salt found on this planet. Luckily, today it is hand-mined from the mountains as well as brought to the culinary market.
But why this salt has pink colour?
In fact, it has a lot of pink, red and white hues, which indicate that this salt abounds in various minerals as well as energy-rich iron content.
Health benefits of this extraordinary salt:
Like all the vitamins and minerals are perfectly packaged within fruits and vegetables, also this salt was created naturally and all the minerals within the sodium actually work in synergy.
- Iodine: This is natural salt that abounds in iodine and therefore there is no need for any artificially added iodine.
- Less sodium content per serving: Actually, Himalayan salt is made up of the same components as the table salt. However, as the crystal structure is greater than refined salt, therefore this salt has less sodium content per 1/4 serving, i.e., the sea salt crystals or flakes actually take up less room on a teaspoon than the refined tiny table salt grains.
- 80+ minerals and elements: This salt is mineral packed crystals that are formed naturally within the earth, also made up of 85.62% sodium chloride and 14.38% other trace minerals, for instance: calcium, sulphate, magnesium, bicarbonate, potassium, strontium, borate, bromide, and fluoride, i.e., in descending order of quantity.
These Himalayan pink salt minerals are able to:
- Elevate hydration levels
- Improve blood circulation
- Strengthen bones
- Create an electrolyte balance
- Balance pH levels, i.e., alkaline/acidity, and help in the reduction of acid reflux
- Help the proper nutrient absorption by intestines
- Help in proper metabolism functioning
- Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
- Prevent muscle cramping
- Decrease blood pressure levels
- Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
- Prevent goiters
Also, it is considered that they are able to support libido, lower aging signs, and detoxify the organism from any heavy metals.
Pink salt compared to sea salt:
Although pink salts originate from the mountains, also they are technically sea salts. Namely, all salt comes from salted water, i.e., an ocean or salt-water lake. But, Himalayan salt is considered as the purest sea salt type.
Why is the pink salt better that the table salt?
Despite all commercial refined salts are stripped of all the minerals, besides chloride and sodium, but they are also chemically cleaned, bleached and heated at extremely high temperatures.
Additionally, they are treated with anti-caking agents that prevent salt from mixing with water in the salt container. Also, these agents are able to prevent dissolving within our system, thus resulting in build up and deposit in our organs and tissue, which can lead to severe health issues.
At least, the iodine added into this salt is actually synthetic that is difficult for your body to process it properly. It is a shocking fact that under the U.S. law, up to 2% of table salt can be additives.
Pink salt can be used in various ways:
Cooking and curing: You can use pre-ground salt or grinders in the same way as any other salt.
Salt slabs: Actually used as serving platters, the slabs can impart an enhanced salt taste as well as mineral content.
Chilled: You can use it as decoration along with fruits, vegetables, sushi, or cheese.
Frozen: Also, present cold desserts and even sorbets.
Heated: You can use the slabs in order to sear vegetables, fish fillets, shrimp, or thinly sliced beef or to fry an egg.
Anti-microbial agent: Also, Himalayan salt contains natural anti-microbial agents, therefore clean up requires a quick scrub or rinse.
Decoration: You can use the salts in containers, also as décor crystals or sprinkled on food for presentation.
Bathing: You can enjoy in a detoxifying Himalayan salt bath. In other words, the replenishing nutrients have a strong capacity to stimulate your blood circulation as well as soothe your sore muscles. Additionally, bathing with pink bath salt is a miraculous healing and therapeutic remedy for your body and mind as it is naturally rich in 80+ nourishing and skin-replenishing minerals.
Potpourri holders and essential oil diffusers: There are a lot of on-line sites, which offer wonderful home decorations featuring the pink salt as excellent crystal rocks.
Air purification: Also, there are a lot of crystal rock lamps for air purification that are sold on-line.
Brining: If you love eating meat, then, you should use brining as it actually makes meat very juice and succulent!
So, we are going to present you an extremely simple brining recipe.
- 1 gallon water
- 3 oz. of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of citrus zest, i.e., lemon, lime or orange (if desired)
- 3 oz. of sugar (if desired)
First of all, you should add the salt, sugar and other ingredients to a pot. Then, you should bring the water to simmer until the salt and sugar have dissolved completely.
Next, you should remove the pot from the heat and also chill before using the brine.
Also, you should leave the protein brine for about 6 hours.
Finally, you should drain the protein, and leave it rest and air dry in a fridge for another 2 hours. Also, roast, broil or grill as usually!