In fact, mold is a common issue that may be present in your home as well as it can be the reason for various health problems.
So, in order to treat the issue and avoid its adverse effects you should know its symptoms and also who are most prone to it.
Additionally, its symptoms are actually similar to the ones of other ailments because they are non-specific, and usually attributed to some other reasons.
The most commonly experienced signs of mold illness:
- Fatigue, weakness, and post-exercise malaise
- Memory and focusing issues, brain fog, and executive function problems
- Red eyes, light sensitivity, and blurred vision
- Sinus problems, cough, air hunger, breath shortness, and asthma-like symptoms
- Static shocks
- Weight gain regardless sufficient effort, i.e., weight loss resistance
- Constant nerve and joint pain, ice pick pain, muscle cramps, and aches without inflammatory arthritis
- Persistent nerve pain
- Night sweats or temperature regulation problems
- Numbness and tingling
- Diarrhea, abdominal pain, appetite changes, nausea
- Increased urge for urination
- Excessive thirst
- Metallic taste
Moreover, the disastrous effects of mold have been scientifically studied for over 3 decades.
To explain you more deeply, the mold is a combination of various types of fungi, which grow in filaments as well as reproduce by forming very small spores that sprout and fly away. Also, they cannot be spotted by a naked eye.
In addition, mould actually thrives in warm, damp, and humid places, too. For instance, it may also appear in Nevada and Arizona, i.e., in places with poor ventilation, water leaks, floods, even if they are dry.
Or it can appear in a bathroom, showerhead, and poor ventilated rooms. What’s more it can attach to the furniture, carpets, pets, books, papers, and shoes. It can also circulate in the air system. So, it is recommended to change HVAC filters on 3 months.
Mold actually forms toxic ingredients, i.e., mycotoxins. These toxic ingredients remain on spores and fragments of mold released into the air.
Bear in mind, the mold illness is not actually triggered by a single toxin, but the cause is more as a result of the water-damaged area or building itself.
According to the newest review, sinuses are a common factor for developing persistent mould illness.
Since, most people spend a lot of time indoors, for instance, in offices, or at home, you have to learn how to decrease this harmful impact.
Namely, mold toxicity is classified in the large category of Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, i.e., CIRS or bio-toxin illness.
According to Ritchie Shoemaker MD, and who is also the author of 8 books related on this topic, including Surviving Mould, 24% of the people are not able to make adequate antibody responses, and therefore, they’re the ones that comprise more than 95% of people who suffer from water-damaged building illness.
So, we are going to explain the role of DNA and its effect on the susceptibility to mold illness.
As we mentioned above, about 24% of the population is genetically susceptible to mold toxicity, because they have an immune response gene.
Due to this, people with these genes have an elevated risk of mold illness.
However, there is 2% more, who are particularly prone to it and have a sicker quicker variation of these genes.
Actually, a continuing inflammatory response can be triggered by the toxins..
If left untreated, the mold illness from water-damaged buildings can be a severe health problem because it is actually a state of chronic inflammation as a result of a weakened immune system, and it does not heal on its own, thus causing various illnesses.
The presence of the following criteria is required for the diagnosis of CIRS:
- Abnormalities documented by Visual Contrast Sensitivity, i.e., VCS tests.
- A genetic predisposition to illness related to bio-toxins on the basis of an identification of an HLA susceptible haplotype.
- History, signs and symptoms of bio-toxin exposure. Also, the history should involve toxin-producing mould exposure as documented by the EPA-approved ERMI testing. However, in the case of microcystin, ciguatera, and so on, the history actually involves likely exposure or laboratory exposure evidence.
- And biomarkers that are consistent with the neuroimmune, vascular, and endocrine abnormalities specific to CIRS. If there is consistent bio-toxin exposure, an abnormal VCS test, or a susceptible genotype, it will most likely to show the laboratory abnormalities seen in CIRS.
Consider undertaking the following if you think you are exposed to mold or have noticed some of the symptoms:
- First of all, learn and research anything about mold illness.
- Then, test the mold presence in your home. For example, you can find an environmental professional in order to inspect the home, or do the so-called ERMI test.
It will cost you $325 and you can do it yourself, and in case it is positive, it is recommended to hire a professional to solve the problem.
- Or you can work with a clinician trained in the Shoemaker Protocol, as well as examine your susceptibility to mold illness.