Hydrogen peroxide is the liquid you usually pour onto your finger after you accidentally cut yourself while doing the dishes. For example, it’s also frequently used to disinfect a child’s knee after a fall. Well, there are many other uses of hydrogen peroxide?
Perhaps, you’ve recognized it by its chemical formula that is H2O2. Moreover, in the purest form, it’s colorless liquid, and a bit more viscous than water. The most popular hydrogen peroxide uses are disinfecting, oxidizing, and bleaching.
In case you listen to the famous rapper, Eminem, then you may have heard that he used hydrogen peroxide to bleach his hair! You probably think of hydrogen peroxide as being water, which is equipped with an additional oxygen atom. But, the truth is that there is a great difference between these two compounds.
FACT: If pure hydrogen peroxide is heated to its boiling point, it can explode.
It is the reason why most household products contain a diluted solution of the chemical.
A lot of people don’t know that the fizzing you see when you pour HP onto a cut is H2O2 bonds breaking apart. In addition, the bubbles are just free oxygen molecules.
Although the science is quite fascinating, but the practical uses of hydrogen peroxide are even better!
Note: The term HP that is used in this article is a shorter form of saying hydrogen peroxide. Plus, the majority of these uses should be carried out using a 3%, standard-grade purity of HP.
Here is the complete list of HP uses:
1. Remove pesticides: The majority of fresh vegetables are produced by using spray pesticides, which are harmful chemicals that should not be consumed. You should add ¼ a cup of HP to a bowl with 3 cups of water and let the vegetables soak in it for 30 minutes. Then, rinse the vegetables well and put them in the refrigerator for a while in order to dry out.
2. Eliminate viruses: Use about three drops of 3% HP in the both ears. According to some experts, this can significantly reduce the flu or cold duration. Once you apply the drops, let them sit for 10 minutes before allowing it to drain. Also, it will take the ear wax with it!
3. Get rid of airborne germs: In case you have a humidifier, combine 1 pint of 3 percent HP with one gallon of water and add it to the humidifier. Allow the humidifier to run until the mixture is depleted. It will actually remove airborne germs.
4. Bleach hair: HP is milder and safer, when compared to other household bleaching agents, so it can be used to bleach your hair.
5. Bleach finger and toe nails: For such a purpose, use the standard diluted HP product. Just pour some of it into a small container and dip your finger and toe nails for about 5 minutes. Repeat this for several days consecutively till you achieve the desired results.
6. Whiten your teeth: HP can whiten your teeth naturally by oxygenating their surface. First of all, brush your teeth normally with toothpaste. Then, combine 2 teaspoons of water with 1 teaspoon of 3 percent HP and swish the mixture around in your mouth for up to 1 minute, but don’t swallow any of it. At least, rinse your mouth with water and repeat it up to three times in a period of one week.
7. Create hair highlights: Spray some HP onto damp hair and it will actually give you sun-bleached highlights. Leave it to sit on the hair for up to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
8. Rejuvenate and detoxify: Soak in a bath with some HP to rejuvenate and detoxify your body. Namely, pour 1 cup of 35 percent HP into a tub of water and soak in it for about a half an hour. You will be surely amazed with the results.
9. Eliminate stuffy sinuses: If you experience stuffy sinuses, it can be really painful. You can unclog them by using a homemade nasal solution, which contains HP. Combine 1 cup of water with 1 cap full of HP. But, if your sinuses are really stuffed, consider making a slightly more concentrated HP mixture.
10. Relieve toothache pain: In order to soothe toothache pain, do oil-pulling with a mixture of HP and coconut oil. The antibacterial properties of these ingredients help to remove the bacteria that are triggering the toothache pain.
11. Make an antiseptic mouth rinse: HP can act as a wonderful mouth wash to eliminate bad breath triggered by bacteria. Combine 1 cup of water with about 2 caps full of HP as well as rinse out your mouth with it.
12. Disinfect wounds: HP has an ability to disinfect small wounds. In most cases, just a small cap full of a standard 3 percent solution can actually do the trick. The wound should be washed with a 3 percent HP.
13. Get rid of acne: In case you have acne, make a face rinse that can clear up the acne. You should use a mixture of 2 tablespoons each of 3 percent HP and ACV. Additionally, dip a cotton pad on the resulted mixture and then pat it on your face on affected areas to eliminate the bacteria that result in acne breakouts. However, don’t use the same pad for the entire face, but use clean pads to pat new areas in order to prevent transference of the bacteria.
14. Soften calluses and corns: Just soak calluses and corns in a mixture of equal parts HP and ACV in case you need to soften and get rid of them.
15. Eliminate boils: Use HP to get rid of boils. Moreover, fill up your bathtub with water and add a cup of 35 percent HP. Besides it will treat your boils, but it will rejuvenate and detoxify your body, too.
16. Get wax out of your ear: Most people have a huge wax buildup in their ear and don’t even know it. Eliminate it with 2 drops of HP in each ear. Furthermore, after adding the HP to one ear at a time, you should also add a couple drops of olive oil. After a few minutes drain the solution out of the ear.
17. Alleviate ear infections: You can ease many of the symptoms as well as clear out the infection by applying 8 drops of HP to an infected ear.
18. Remove skin mites: Use HP to kill skin mites off. You should spray some 3 percent HP on the affected skin. Do this process several times after a few minutes, and it will definitely kill the skin mites.
19. Prevent the dreaded swimmer’s ear: It is a typical ear infection that can be eliminated by combining 1 cap of HP with some ACV in a small dropper bottle. In addition, after swimming, you should apply several drops of the solution to both ears in order to prevent infection.
20. Get rid of foot fungus: Combine equal amounts of 3 percent HP with water inside of a darkened bottle. The bottle should be darkened since HP cannot be exposed to light. Finally, apply the mixture to foot fungus.
21. Disinfect your toothbrush: Make sure your toothbrush is clean to maintain optimal oral hygiene. Disinfect your toothbrush by soaking it in HP, which will kill all of the bacteria that thrive in the bathroom.
22. Make a marinade for fish, poultry, or meat: Marinade meats by placing them inside a casserole, containing equal parts of water and HP. Keep in mind the casserole needs to be loosely covered and refrigerated for 30 minutes. Before cooking rinse the items.
23. Control fungus growth in aquariums: In case you own an aquarium, this is a miraculous way to use HP. But, you’ll have to check elsewhere in order to find the exact instructions, as well as you should be careful as you don’t want to harm your fish.
24. Act as a dishwasher detergent: Even though it’s not a perfect substitute for dishwasher liquid, but HP is always a good alternative. By mixing some HP with your dishwasher detergent, it can last longer.
25. Remove stubborn stains from clothing: In fact, blood is one of the most difficult stains to remove from clothing. Pour some undiluted HP directly onto the stain, let it sit for 1-3 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. At least, scrub with a bar soap to completely remove the stain. Do the process again as needed.
26. Make an all-purpose cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with a diluted mixture of HP and clean almost anything by using it.
27. Make laundry whiter: Over a long period of time, your white laundry items can get dingy and yellow. So, you should add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the wash and leave the laundry to soak for about 30 minutes before wash.
28. Make an emetic for household pets: HP can induce vomiting. Also, this works well in case your dog or cat has swallowed something they shouldn’t, so HP can make them throw it up.
29. Remove organic stains: Blood, sweat, coffee, and wine are all considered as organic stains, and they can be quite difficult to remove. Create a mixture of 1 part dish detergent with two parts HP and apply it to the stains. But, HP can bleach darker colored fabrics, and therefore be cautious with what you use it on.
30. Get rid of undesirable odors: Over a period of time, the fabrics can get bogged down with odors. You should combine white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and soak it in the solution to remove all unpleasant odors.
31. Clean your contact lenses: In case you wear contact lenses, clean them with HP. The only thing you should do is to soak your contacts into a diluted HP solution overnight. What’s more, it will get rid of protein buildup and make them ready to wear the following day.
32. Clean carpets and rugs: Use HP to clean dirty carpets and rugs. It’s very beneficial on light carpets as it can bleach darker colors. Just spray a diluted solution onto the rug or carpet and clean it as usually. Always do a spot test beforehand to ensure it won’t bleach the fabric.
33. Keep your shopping bags fresh: Of course, a reusable shopping bag is great, but it can also get dirty. By spraying it with some HP, you can disinfect and remove odors from any reusable shopping bag. Next, leave it to sit for several minutes and wipe it off by using a clean paper towel.
34. Disinfect your lunchbox: Spray your lunchbox with a diluted solution of HP and leave the hydrogen peroxide solution to sit for several minutes. Finally, just wipe it away.
35. Improve the seed germination: Fungal spores can impede the seed germination. Just soak seeds in HP before planting them to remove fungal spores from them.
36. Clean your humidifier well: Add 1 pint of HP with 1 gallon of water to the humidifier to keep it running efficiently and cleanly.
37. Clean the toilet: You should pour half of a cup of HP into the toilet bowl and leave it to sit for 30 minutes, and then scrub it to remove stains, disinfect the bowl as well as give it a squeaky clean shine!
38. Make grout whiter: Mix white flour with 35 percent hydrogen peroxide and use it to clean and make the grout whiter. First of all, cover the grout with the paste and let it sit overnight and rinse it off with water the next day. Your grout will definitely be much brighter.
39. Clean tile surfaces better: Use HP as it is an effective way to clean tile surfaces. Over time, they will get dirty and accumulate stains. But, by spraying some HP directly onto them, you can remove the stains.
40. Remove soap scum: It is actually one of the hardest stains to scrub out of your tub. To remove it quickly, just spray the surface with 35 percent HP and leave it to sit for 30 minutes. Bear in mind, the HP will loosen the grime, and you should wipe it away with a sponge and rinse.
41. Clean glass better: Loosen great amounts of grime and dirt from glass surfaces by spraying them with HP. For optimal results, wipe the surfaces with an old newspaper.
42. Eliminate mold: Remove mold by using standard 3 percent HP. That’s not all, this method is even recommended by some of the top health agencies in the world. It is quite easy, spray the mold with HP and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Afterwards, scrub it with a sponge. Remember, when dealing with mold, always wear protective clothing.
43. Wash fruits: Use HP to eliminate wax and dirt from fruits and veggies. Spray them down using some HP and rinse them off under running water.
44. Disinfect your cutting boards: The cutting boards may hide food particles and bacteria, as well. Spray them with some HP after every use, and let them sit for several minutes to clean and disinfect them. Finally, rinse them out under running water.
45. Disinfect sponges and dishrags: It is a fact that over time, sponges and dishrags will get too dirty. So, it is advisable to soak them in hot water and two capfuls of HP for about 30 minutes. Additionally, it will thoroughly disinfect and clean all sponges and dishrags.
46. Clean kitchen and bathroom counters: In order to clean and disinfect them, you should spray diluted HP onto bathroom and kitchen countertops. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off using a clean towel.
Quick fact: Fruits, vegetables and rainwater can naturally produce hydrogen peroxide!
47. Remove stubborn foods: Mix some baking soda and HP to create a paste. Next, scrub the paste into the troublesome food spots and leave it to sit for a few minutes. Afterwards, scrub it using your dish sponge and warm water.
48. Clean your refrigerator: Spray down the entire refrigerator with HP and leave it to sit for several minutes. Then, wipe it using a clean cloth.
49. Enjoy a fresher salad: You should add a tablespoon of food-grade HP to half a cup of water and spray the solution onto the salad in order to make it last longer.
50. Brighten curtains and table cloths: In case these items have become yellowed and mildewed, then you can wipe down the yellowed portions using a cloth soaked in HP. Moreover, you can also add 1 cup of HP to your wash when doing whites.
51. Remove algae: You should use HP to get rid of algae from an aquarium. Use about 60 ml of hydrogen peroxide for every 66 gallons of aquarium water. Plus, use a dropper to add the liquid over the span of 5 minutes.
52. Clean kid’s toys: They spread out on the floor usually attract bacteria on them. To keep your kid’s toys clean and safe it is advisable to use HP to wipe down play areas, toys as well as toy boxes. All you need to do is spray HP onto the toys and wipe them down by using a clean towel, or wash them in a basin of water with a cup of HP.
53. Treat animal wounds: Use HP on animal wounds similarly as you would use it on human wounds. In other words, dab the HP onto the wound carefully to disinfect while removing dead flesh.
54. Get rid of canker sores: If you experience canker sores in your mouth, it is recommended to hold a single capful of HP in your mouth for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to swallow it and it will undoubtedly help you get rid of the canker sores.
55. Add in your enema water: Combine 1 tablespoon of HP to 4 cups of water.
56. De-mold plants: In case you have some plants that are starting to get a bit moldy and musty, you should spray them down using some 3 percent HP.
57. Control yeast infection: Add about 2 capfuls of HP into your douche once or twice on a weekly basis.
58. Prolong the freshness of your veggies: HP can also be used to prolong the freshness of the vegetables. The only thing you should do is to add about a quarter cup of food-grade HP to a sink full of cold water, put the veggies into it and leave them to soak for around 30 minutes. At least, rinse them, shake out excess water, dab dry by using clean paper towel, pack them in a clean plastic bag as well as store them dry in the fridge in order to prolong their freshness.
59. Clean your mirror impressively well: Yes, over time, mirrors actually get too dirty. For optimal results to get a no-streak clean, spray them down with some HP and wipe them clean using an old newspaper or paper towel.
60. Remove wine stains: You can get rid of wine stains by mixing equal parts of liquid detergent with HP. Next, pour it onto the stain and blot the stain away with a clean cloth.
61. Easily kill mites: You can get rid of mites by spraying them with some HP. Repeat the same procedure a few times to be safe.
62. Remove stains from stone countertops: HP can act very well for the elimination of stains from almost any tile or stone surface. Combine it with some white flour and apply the paste to the stains. Next, wrap everything in plastic and leave it to sit overnight. The next morning, you should remove and clean it up.
63. Improve the root system of your plant: By watering them using a mixture of 1 part HP and 32 parts water you can improve the roots of your plants.
64. Get rid of collar stain: The collar should be sprayed with a mixture of 1 part liquid detergent and 2 parts HP. Allow it to sit for five minutes and then wash it.
65. Make short work of armpit sweat: Use 2 parts HP with 1 part dishwasher liquid and apply it to the embarrassing armpit stains to get rid of them. Let the stains soak for about a few minutes and at the end, wash it.
Facts about HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
After reading the list you know what this incredible liquid is capable of. Are you familiar with the fact that it’s also found in ALL living materials? Or that it is naturally produced by the white blood cells inside of your body?
It is also naturally produced by fruits and vegetables, which is why your doctor is always advising you to consume more of them.
What’s more, during a mother’s first milk, enormous amounts of hydrogen peroxide are transferred to a baby, boosting the immune system. This marvelous compound is even found in rainwater.
Also, by adding HP to water, it will oxygenate it. You can use this technique when transferring fish from one location to another.
To sum up, the remarkable disinfectant abilities of HP have made it a household staple for many years, and it’s difficult to find a household first-aid kit that doesn’t have a bottle of it. In case you haven’t already, go and start enjoying the extraordinary benefits that hydrogen peroxide has to offer!