What is gelatin?
It is made of glycine and proline, which are two amino acids that most people fail to consume in adequate amounts. These amino acids are present in bones, fibrous tissues, and organs. But, a lot of people do not get sufficient amounts of them and it is really bad since these amino acids are crucial for a good skin, nail, and hair condition and also for weight regulation and optimal immune function.
Specifically, glycine is a compound that makes 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin and possesses anti-inflammatory abilities that speed up the healing of wound and improve sleep quality.
Why are hospitalized people given gelatin?
It is considered that gelatin is a clear liquid and is one of the easiest foods for digesting, just like water, juice, tea, and broth. So, many patients situated in the hospital are actually given gelatin because their stomach cannot handle anything else. For example, when you’re recovering from a difficult period your body needs something easy to digest and therefore jello is the ideal meal for everyone.
Jello that is mainly gelatin with food coloring, improves the gut integrity and digestive strength by improving gastric acid secretion as well as restoring a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach. Also, gelatin can absorb water and help keep fluid in the digestive tract, thus promoting good intestinal transit and healthy bowel movements.
Here are the health benefits of gelatin
– It’s abundant in proteins. Just a tablespoon of gelatin do contains 6 grams of protein. In case you want to add more proteins in your diet, it could be your perfect choice.
– Gelatin improves digestion, binds to water naturally and helps food move through the digestive tract quite easily.
– It abounds in amino acids that are vital for strengthening the cartilage in joints, and also improves bone and joint health.
– Gelatin helps with food allergies and intolerances. Furthermore, it can heal the stomach and digestive tract lining.
– It helps the body release toxins. The glycine helps the liver efficiently eliminate toxins from the system.
– Gelatin possesses keratin, i.e., a powerful protein that is naturally found in the teeth, nails, hair, and skin. So, gelatin promotes nail, hair, and teeth health.
– Gelatin enhances the skin elasticity since it is made up of collagen. Therefore, regular gelatin consumption helps you look much healthier and younger and is much better than any other collagen facial cream.
– It helps the wounds heal faster due to glycine.
– It improves the sleep quality. According to a recent study, besides gelatin improves the quality of sleep, but its regular consumption can also help shake off the drowsiness and improve cognitive function.
– It promotes weight loss. Experts claim that gelatin stimulates the human growth hormone production and boosts metabolism.
Recipe of delicious homemade jelly
– 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
– 3 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin
– 1 cup of fresh strawberries or grape juice
– 1 cup of green tea
– Honey or stevia
Cook the green tea and then add some stevia and honey. Afterwards, add the unflavored gelatin, and combine it until dissolved. Remove it from the heat and leave it to cool.
Next, add the orange and grape juice and mix them well. Pour the mixture into a container and store it in a refrigerator for about 3 hours.
The delicious jelly is ready!