Japanese doctors have proven that if children take enough vitamin D, their risk of experiencing flu can be decreased by 50%.
According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition research, vitamin D that is naturally created by the body if exposed to direct sunlight, costs little, has no great side effects, and can be a few times more effective than anti-viral medication or vaccines.
In a clinical trial, just one in ten children, from 6 to 15 years old, who took the sunshine vitamin experienced flu compared to one in five children who took a dummy tablet. Moreover, the Japanese doctor, Mitsuyoshi Urashima, leading the trial, stated for The Times that vitamin D was more powerful than vaccines when it comes to preventing flu.
What’s more, Vitamin D was proven to be even more potent when the comparison left out children who already received extra vitamin D outside the trial.
It has been publicly stated by Dr. Damien Downing, who is a medical consultant and doctor that governments like epidemics as a possibility to impose their will.
Believe it or not, there are a great number of physicians in the U.S. and Canada, prescribing as much as 50,000 IU of vitamin D on a daily basis in the treatment of various chronic diseases.
According to Dr. John Cannell, at the first symptom of a cold or flu, high-dose vitamin D, i.e., 50,000 IU, should be taken in three days. But, in case you suffer from an infection, you need to take more vitamin D. Namely, vitamin D actually serves as a strong natural antibiotic, by fighting against each kind of microbe, like fungi, viruses, parasites, and bacteria.
Within the winter months, particularly in those countries that are located far north of the equator, Vitamin D deficiency is a commonly experienced issue. This vitamin is of vital importance since it acts as a modulator of the immune system, prevents excessive inflammatory cytokine production and increases macrophage activity. Furthermore, Vitamin D can also boost the production of strong anti-microbial peptides in epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract as well as other white blood cells and, which prevents lung infection.
Using Vitamin D Results in 50% Lower Flu Infections
To explain you in detain, 354 children participated in the trial. It has been proven that Vitamin D can protect against influenza A, whereas it is not as beneficial to the less commonly experienced influenza B.
In addition, scientists and doctors from Tokyo’s Jikei University School of Medicine carried out and fully controlled scientifically the trial, which was double blind, and randomised.
Specifically, the children took 1200 IUs of vitamin D on a daily basis within 3 months. Furthermore, participants in the group taking the vitamin got ill as often as the children taking the dummy tablet in the first month. However, in the second month, the vitamin D level was higher, so the advantage of the vitamin was clear.
According to the Japanese scientists, who write in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the anti-viral medication: oseltamivir and zanamivir lower the chance of flu infection by 8% in those kids who have been exposed to infection in comparison with a 50% or larger Vitamin D reduction.
Anti-viral medication is very expensive, and potentially very toxic.
On the contrary, vitamin D offers additional health benefits. Besides the sunshine vitamin prevents fracture of the bones, but it is also considered to be able to lower the chance of developing bacterial and viral infections, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.
The innate immune system is activated with Vitamin D, allowing the body to produce a few proteins, like cathelicidin and defensin that cause cell activity and destroy viruses.
The virology professor at Queen Mary School of Medicine, in London, Dr John Oxford, stated that it is a timely study and the scientist will notice it. The study fits in with the seasonal flu pattern and there is a greater background of solid science, making the story of this vitamin credible.
Vitamin D Dose
The mechanism behind the ability of vitamin D3 to improve the immune system has been recently pinpointed by the researchers.
Here is why this vitamin is so important to your health:
- It is not a vitamin, but a precursor of steroid hormone, resulting in profound effects on innate immunity.
- The vitamin D amount of in most foods and almost all multivitamins is exactly inconsequential.
- The recommended daily vitamin D dose for adults is about 5,000 IU, not the 200 to 600 IU suggested by the FDA, the National Institutes of Medicine, and Institute of Medicine.
- A 25-hydroxy-vitamin D is the only blood test for determining the adequacy of vitamin D, and not the 1,25-di-hydroxy-vitamin D test that is ordered by a lot of physicians.
- 70 and 90 ng/ml is the vitamin D blood levels that are considered as healthy and obtained by less than 5% of the U.S. population.
- The action mechanism of vitamin D in infection, significantly boosting the body’s broad-spectrum natural antibiotic production suggests pharmaceutical vitamin D doses, i.e., 1,000 IU per pound of body weight on a daily basis within a few days, will successfully treat not only the common cold and influenza, but help in the treatment of various other seasonal infections, such as septicemia, meningitis, and pneumonia, in adults and children, as well.